For all my quasi-intellectual posturing I wish I was more well-read than I actually am. As I get older it becomes more and more apparent how deficient I am. The Grauniad a few years ago published a list of the 1000 novels that everyone should read and twice I have challenged myself to have a good crack at it, as I'm only in double figures. I reckon that if I make a public announcement of my intent, then I should at least have it a bloody good crack at it.
- I will not count a book as read unless I am acquainted with both covers and all the troublesome content in between.
- If, by Chapter 3, I cannot bear it any longer then I will put it down.
- I won't allow myself to become a dinner party bore as a result of the challenge.
- I will choose books at random so as not to reaffirm my prejudices.
- If it costs me more than £7 on my kindle then I won't read it either.
- I'll bother you all with updates.
So many words so little time!